Saturday, January 12, 2008

My best friend here in Montreal


I never thought we would end up like this.
The first time we met, it was Monday August 21st, 2006 when me and my professor stepped into MacDonnald (MD) 252 Lab. I was supposed to choose a desk for myself.

I introduced myself to everyone in the lab where I noticed three Iranian faces as well. But the first person who came forward and talked to me and my wife, who was standing next to me, was him.

"My name is Saood. You are probably not familiar with this kind of Arabic name;" he said very politely. " I am from Pakistan but lived and was grown up in Dubai." he added. I introduced myself and my wife, Zahra, and we had a short conversation about how and when we had arrived in Montreal.

The second time I saw him, it was Friday August 26, 2006 in La Chin Canal. He was like us looking for Prof. Andrew Higging's house where we were all invited for a party of Shock Wave Physics Group. I started to like this guy as we were having a chat about future. More importantly, I figured out that we would have the same academic advisor and were supposed to work on the same area.

Since the beginning of the semester, we started to become closer as we had almost all classes together. The first semester, two courses with Dan Mateescu. Oh man, it was fun.

By the time Zahra left to Atlanta in January 2007, he had become closer than my brother. Through the past one year and half, we have been through "ups" and "downs" together. We helped each other through the biggest problems one can face in a foreign country that I will never forget.

Saood, "dude", thanks for everything, brother.

No comments: